From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 1996 19:45:49 +0200
Allen Dick wrote:

> The trick with these above mentioned  feeders is to use thick syrup
> -- about 67% sugar by weight.  That way, the surface tension is
> sufficient that few bees drown  ( especially if you use some straw in
> the hivetops or just a stick in the frame feeders).
>
> Thin syrup also tends to spoil very quickly, and to grow molds.
> Once mixed, it must be consumed quickly.

If you change the ph of the syrup by adding some vinegar there will be
very little mould.

> Straw makes a good 'float'.

No need for floats if the surface where the bees have entry to the syrup
is small enough. If they have walls to climb on when feeding they will
not get
drowned. There are pictures of my feeders at
http://www.kuai.se/~beeman/hive.htm
Those are made from styrofoam, but I have made similar feeders from wood
and
plywood earlier, and they work well.

> Funny how one or two small details will make or break a system.
> There are so many factors that influence which method is best in a
> given situation, and so often one or two critical details are
> forgotten in discussions.

How true that is.

--
Regards