From:
Bob Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:35:34 -0500
I wanted to pass along details of a bee vac a friend of mine from our bee
club invented. It is so simple to make and works great.
He takes a wooden package bee box and cuts a hole in the top the size of
his vacuum hose. Take the feeder can and cut the top and bottom out of it.
Cover one end with window screen and duct tape it in place taking care not
to cover any of the opening. Stick the can back in the hole with the screen
on the bottom. Put one end of the hose you will be using  to collect bees
in the hole you cut in the top of the box; place another hose which will be
coming from the vacuum source loosely in the can. Place the whole apparatus
into a plastic kitchen garbage bag. When vacuum is applied the bag is
sucked against the sides of the box. Regulate the suction by opening the
bag around the hose in the can. Vacuum is right when a bee 2" away is
sucked in but one 3" away escapes. If the swarm is huge, you can fill one
box and change to another! When finished pull the hose from the box and
quickly place a small board to close all bees inside. When I saw this thing
work for the first time I couldn't believe something so simple worked so
good.
Bob Young
Lindale, TX