T.J. Higgins
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 1994 12:13:16 CDT
>         This is tangent to the list, but its been slow.  Does anyone
>         have a homebrew receipe for Honey Hard Cider.  In particular,
>         I'd like to duplicate a product sold commercially by Grant's
>         Brewery.  The advertise a combination of Honey, Apple Juice and
>         Ale Yeast used in the process.

Sure thing, it's real easy.  4.5 gallons fresh cider, 40 ounces of
honey, and a pack of ale yeast.  Heat the cider to about 200 F to
sterilize; do not boil!  Do the same thing with the honey, then mix
the cider & honey.  Hydrate the yeast, toss it all into a 5-gallon
glass carboy, and let it ferment.  After fermentation stops, about
7-10 days, prime with 1/2 corn sugar and bottle.  Ready to drink
about 2 weeks after bottling.

If you use cider from grocery store, make sure it has no
preservatives; they kill the yeast.  Fresh cider from your local
orchard is preferred.

The honey adds no flavor, it merely boosts alcohol content.  The above
recipe will yield 8% to 9%.  Yeeha!

Be careful with William's yeast, I've had better luck with Red Star.
William's wants to explode your bottles.

Make sure you use ale yeast.  Champagne yeast makes it too winey.

Note that I'm not on the bee list.

Best of luck!
--
T.J. Higgins     | [log in to unmask]         | (205) 730-7922
Intergraph Corp. | Mapping Sciences Division | Huntsville, AL, USA