From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:38:50 +1000
Ted Hancock wrote

> Another interesting topic was Honey Bee Supplemental Nutrition . A panel
> of commercial beekeepers told us what they are feeding their bees and took
> questions from the audience. I learned Soya flour is toxic to bees > and
> should not be fed. I have set out Soya flour for years to distract bees
> from grain bins in the spring. So I guess I need to switch to something
> else.

Did they differentiate between ordinary soya flour, low fat soya flour or
de-bittered soya flour.  Just as all oils ain't oils so all soya flour is
not the same.  From what I have seen full fat is not the best but the the
others are OK.  That is provided it is not the only source for an extended
period.  You can add some amino acids to the mix and this seems to be better
for brood production. Just observations and no real trials.

As an aside for Ted I called and saw Norm Rice the other day.  He has just
turned 88 and is still in good health.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA