From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 07:39:51 -0500
Aaron Morris wrote:
>I welcome the introduction what some call "fringe" ideas.

Right. New ideas should never be dismissed because they are new, different
or outlandish. But some of the ideas bandied about are not new, and they are
still outlandish.

An idea that is also not new is chemical free beekeeping. But it does not
"belong" to anyone. In fact, I have been interested in this all along, as is
anyone who wants to be as "natural" as possible.

It must have been ten years ago by now when I first called NOFA to ask them
how they defined "organic beekeeping". They said it was impossible to do
organic beekeeping in New York State.

I replied that if I didn't use chemicals, wasn't *that* organic beekeeping?
No, she said, because your bees fly to non-organic crops. Wait, I said, they
are working wild plants, like dandelions, black locust, wild cherry,
basswood, knotweed, aster, and goldenrod. No crops.

You don't know that, she said, with the assurance of a non-beekeeper. My
promiscuous little ladies are presumed guilty until proven innocent. Oh
well, and I was hoping to charge double for the honey to offset my losses.

Pete