From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2016 14:23:19 -0400
Strictly anecdotal, but some time ago, 10-15 years? I had an observation
hive that built against the glass so that I could watch the development
within several dozen cells.  The stock was a Russian hybrid queen, at
least second generation here among my motley multi-sourced survivor
stock.   I saw a number of worker and drone cells with varroa mites
inside.  Some became trapped in cocoon silk,in others you could watch
the nurse bees reaching in trying to grab the varroa, sometimes
successfully.  In about 8 cells after capping I could still see a varroa
mite.  All of these  were later partly uncapped and the nurse bees kept
trying to grab the varroa. Some were recapped, some left partly open,
all hatched normal looking workers.  I discussed it with Jamie Ellis and
Jennifer Berry, along with some allo-grooming behavior that ignored
varroa and focused on the wing base spiracles.  They both postulated
that these were types of hygienic behavior, the brood uncapping for
Varroa, the allo-grooming for tracheal mites that enter the wing base
spiracle.  I believe they have both gone on to study the phenomena, but
due to health reasons I have not kept up on the literature though I
still keep about 10 hives of my motley survivors.

I'll be interested to see what others have seen....