From:
Judi Hindman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:38:18 -0400
I am a 'going into third year' beekeeper. We have one hive which is loaded with bees this spring. Fearing a swarm, we looked into our hive last week-end and found many, many bees but no eggs, nor capped brood.  There appeared to be some larger capped brood on the bottom of some of the frames which we are interpreting as drone larvae, as they did not look like the classic  queen cell. We have never been able to find the queen, but she has obvious laid eggs, as there are many more bees now when we went into the winter. Can anyone explain this or are we seeing developing queen cells and not drone cells?
Judi Hindman
Weston, Ma.