Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 10:08:37 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
> As we have repeatedly discovered, trying to advise beginners by email is a largely fool's errand.
I found this response a little harsh.  It's not clear if the author is calling the original poster or anyone who responds the fool, but regardless, whenever I see such terms as fool or idiot or moron or ...., I am inclined to hit the delete key.  I was interested in the original question of putting sugar cubes in an empty frame because it's not something I ever would have thought of doing, mainly due to the work involved.  I anticipated the bags of sugar advice and remember learning that trick when Dave Green first posted it 15 or so years ago.  There's gold in them there archives!  Murray's advice of soaking 'til the bags start to sink is a new slant (to me), so I learned a new trick from what some might feel was an ignorant query.  We don't all know it all.

The "fool's errand" response reminded me of the first time I attended my state association meeting.  I was introducing myself around and got to talking to a new acquaintance at the bar who asked me how many hives I ran.  I modestly replied a dozen, he called me a "piker", and I was offended and taken aback.  Years later this acquaintance is a friend and I long for the days when I ran a dozen hives.  12 is a good number!

I had a similar experience when I attended an ABF meeting somewhere along the way.  When asked my numbers the response left me feeling unworthy to swim with the big fish.  That was many years ago and now, no longer a guppy, I am comfortable with the bigger fish and look forward to the camaraderie when the school gets together.

My point being, we all have to begin at the beginning.  When you're at the beginning it's easy to be intimidated by those in the advanced game, and when you're in the advanced game it's easy to forget that we all begin at the beginning.  The best advice I can offer those at the beginning is to seek out local mentors, attend local, state, regional and national meetings, and don't take offense if you're called a "piker" along the way.  The tips, advice and lessons you'll get along the way are invaluable.  And after a long journey remember the days when you were a guppy, and appreciate what you've accomplished, and be proud that you are able to help those who are at the beginning.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Access BEE-L directly at:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=BEE-L

ATOM RSS1 RSS2