From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 17:32:58 -0300
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Sounds like the real test then would be planting a patch of untreated
> canola after potatoes and measuring the levels the plant actually updates
> (or any similar rotation).

Yes, absolutely.
But I am wondering where are the studies about residues on succeeding
crops?  I didn't see them in the hundred page document that Paul posted
from EPA about Clothianidin.  I might have missed them, as I still have not
read it all.  When I look at the label for TITAN I see that it is permitted
to replant treated sets the same season and I am a bit incredulous that so
much can be applied in one year.  And I do not see any disclaimer about use
the following years.  What does it mean?  The regulators are requiring
studies on soil half life but do they not follow up on the obvious
implications of such long half lives in certain soil types, especially
where some uses have such higher loading rates??

As to your comment about not treating the next year, Jeremy:
What worries me is that all the seed supplied to the canola growers on PEI
comes from one source, which is why it is all thiamethoxam treated.  So any
grower is probably just going to use that seed regardless of whether the
field was in potatoes previously or not.  Thiamethoxam breaks down into
clothianidin.  So that just further increases the amount in the canola.
Apparently bees out west tolerate the clothianidin AT THE LABEL RATE.  But
this could be several times the label rate.

TITAN has a new registration here, previously the product was imidacloprid
(ADMIRE).  I may rethink putting bees in canola, although on an island
where the bees density is at saturation it may be difficult to do.

Stan