From:
Jerry Fries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 20:10:56 -0800
In reference to the insect spraying in your area. In addition to the type
and method of spraying in your area it may be a bad idea to eliminate
mosquitos.Sounds funny I know but consider:when the food that the birds eat
is gone then the birds are gone which means the rate at which the mosquitos
regenerate is astronomical with no birds to eat them . We used to spray
around aour place here in Alaska (famous for mosquitos) but in a year or
two the mosquits blown back in on the wind along with reproduction gave us
a mosquto population that was unbearable. We gave up. Guess what? in a few
years the swallows came in and feasted! Slowly a balance uas establised
which was livable. Spray the sprayers and send them home . Encourage
swallows with little nesting sites soon the problem will be better. Yes
they eat bees or at least they eat mine.I simply put a mesh of any sort to
keep the birds from the immediate front of the hives and it is no problem
the birds fly accros the front of the hive in the evening so anything along
the side works ok.

                                                Jerry Fries