From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2015 01:35:36 +0000
Hi Medhat

Thanks for your response. By now I have been assured that SHB can travel in queen cages. Surely, this is not the biggest source, but rather packages and nucs would be.

You wrote

On June 16, 2006, after reporting the finding of the SHB in Alberta, the Apiculture Program staff visually inspected 324 queens imported from the continental USA for the presence of the SHB. No SHB was found in inspected queen cages.

In the same issue of Hive Lights:

It is not clear how the SHB arrived

in Beaverlodge but the stock in the apiary of

37 colonies originated with a 2005 shipment

of package bees from Australia.

There are several options to be considered: To protect the industry from future damage by the small hive beetle, an appropriate provincial response plan may include:

• No action.

• Quarantine and Eradication

• Survey, control and educational campaign option.

While we have you on the line, tell us what are the consequences of ten years of hive beetles in Canada.

Thanks!

PLB