From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2008 19:05:57 -0500
Hello Eric & All,

> My point is that beekeeping isn't over just because CCD is reducing colony
> numbers.

Those which are surviving colony losses the best are those which anticipate
losses are coming  (myself) and are splitting a larger amount. David Mendez
( ABF Pres.)said that splitting in larger numbers has helped him deal with
up to 50% losses since the start of the die off.

> Some beekeepers are keen and will make a big move forward, while others
> will give up and thus perish.

Having been in the industry over four decades I do not see many commercial
beeks giving up. They usually go down fighting. Borrow till they can not
borrow money!

 You heard what the commercial beek said when he won the lottery and the
press asked what he was going to do with the money?

"Keep on commercial beekeeping until the money is gone!"

 Two years of losses in a row is usually enough to force an outfit to close
the doors. On strange thing about CCD is that for the most part those which
were hit the hardest seem to get a decent year the next but many are
reporting troubles already this year.

Getting hit in the pocket book is a real wake up call! (first hand
experience). Instantly the bees welfare takes priority in the outfit. You
can not tell what is going on in the bee yard from your office or easy
chair.
Cutting corners, guessing at what is going on in the bee yards and simply
not taking the time to run bees can be costly in today's beekeeping.

A single poor decision can cost dearly.

Aside from current beekeeping problems the weather has been working against
most beekeepers for the past decade. Too dry or too wet. No middle ground.
Even the weathermen are not getting the weather predictions correct (or in
some cases even close!).

Quote from Jerry Hayes at a National meeting I attended:
" I don't believe now is the best time to go into commercial beekeeping"

I agree!

If beeks with completely paid for operations ( like myself and other old
timers) with  decades of beekeeping experience are having troubles then if
getting into commercial beekeeping was the plan for a new beekeeper I would
move in slowly and carefully. Start small and not give up the day job right
away>

bob

ps. One commercial beek said since CCD he has become a "go Getter"

Said he got his wife a job in town and now he goes and gets her each day!