From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2017 07:30:26 -0500
Hi all
One of the chief difficulties in comparing treatment effects is the wide range of conditions in which we all live. The following study takes place in Chile, which has an wide range of environments.

> In Chile, beekeeping takes place in four different climatic zones, in which ambient temperature and humidity as well as the duration of the apicultural season are different. Therefore, the aim of this study was to determine how ambient temperature and humidity influence the efficacy of the organic treatments used in the beekeeping season. Different apiaries were installed in those climatic zones in three seasons between the years 2009 and 2012.

The environmental variables and the product’s
presentation affected the efficacy of the tested organic
treatments. Temperature and humidity were relevant in
the acaricidal effects of thymol, formic and oxalic acid
presentations. In this way, the higher the ambient
temperature, the greater the efficacy for almost every
evaluated treatment and presentations, reducing the
final infestation rate in regard to the initial.

On the other hand, the higher the ambient humidity (even with
events of rain), the lower the efficacy of the treatments,
except for 4.6% oxalic acid in 60% sugar syrup, since
these conditions would benefit the consumption of the
treatment and therefore, its efficacy (due to a higher
consumption and the overcrowding’s effect).

With the obtained results it is demonstrated the necessity to
monitor the environmental conditions present in the
apiary when an organic treatment against the mite
Varroa destructor is applied, in order to anticipate an
inferior acaricidal effect to the expected.

Patricia, Aldea, et al. "Effect of ambient temperature and humidity conditions on the efficacy of organic treatments against Varroa destructor in different climatic zones of Chile." Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. A 3.6A (2013): 474.