Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:37:40 -0300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Hi Randy Oliver,

With reference to your recent assertion: «In the long run, honey bee populations on all continents will likely become infested with every bee parasite on the planet.  The trade of bees from one continent to another expedites that process» and your obviosuly painful experience of bee diseases in the US, please allow me to make a few respectful comments.

I understand the word «trade» implies legal commerce, in this case import and export under certain regulations and rules, which of course can be debated regarding their efficacy.

The US border was closed to all bee imports (except some made by research institutions) from 1922 until 2005. Consequently, there was no trade at all between the US and the rest of the world. I am not aware of any legal importation made in your country during this period of 83 years. However, in the meantime the US was invaded by tracheal mites (1984), varroa mites (1987), africanized honey bees (1990) and small hive beetles (1998). All this events predate the opening of the border to trade, both Australian and New Zealand imports. 

How dare you blame legal trade for spreading bee diseases? I have the impression you should have used another set of words. As far as I know, the spread of diseases, either accidental or purposeful has been accomplished either by smugglers and/or by pseudoscientists with nice credentials and plenty or scientific-peer reviewed papers, who brought in undesirable genetic stock under government distraction. A good example is the unjustified introduction of Apis mellifera capensis in many European countries (like Poland and Germany) and the introduction of African bees in Brazil performed by another «scientist» back in 1957.

Another awful example, is the breeding ground for small hive beetles in the UK under the auspices of the Central Science Laboratories (a British government agency). If I recall well, a couple of years ago a UK lab had a security breach which made possible the spread of the «Foot & Mouth» virus. Hope it is not the same lab taking care of the small hive beetle now.

Sincerely,

Martin Braunstein
www.malkaqueens.com

* Search the BEE-L archives at:                       *
* http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2