Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2013 06:37:14 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
I think it was Allen that made a comment about an aspect of reversing that stimulated bees, as far as bees uncapping honey that is reversed below the relatively empty brood box. Having a bit of liquid feed that is more accessible(then capped honey) by the bees over the top of the cluster seems to get the workers and therefore the queen to move up into fresh territory of empty combs for the queen to lay with heat rising from below. Nice to do when the cluster is big enough to handle it. Good to wait until the weather settles and the bees are built up enough. 

I'd like to add that it works well (reversing) with stimulative feeding of sugar/fructose and pollen sub, when the cluster is big enough to mostly occupy a single box. My son is at our southern farm (gulf coast)with our crew and swears by reversing as soon as the bees mostly fill the box. He also is a strong advocate of reducing our duds to one box and building them with brood from other hives and constant feeding until he thinks they are ready to get back the second deep over the top. My partner Dave also is a strong advocate. 

One can also take a quick survey of the comb quality when bringing up a relatively empty deep during reversal and quickly replace any obvious crap combs.

We have become strong believers in pollen sub and stimulative feeding (fructose for us) to build huge colonies for splitting. With all the problems beeks face with colony loss, splitting is essential to keep one's numbers up and still make honey and pollinate with strong hives. Every trick in the book helps. 

Nothing like a strong back and a weak mind. (Just kidding)

Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
St. Ambrose Meadery/Winery- sister business of Sleeping Bear

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2