From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:52:37 -0800
>Of course, we are all familiar with the 'yellow spot' phenomenon which
occurs when beehives and parking lots or clotheslines are in close proximity
(but which we insist has nothing to do with bees) and the large, brown
oozing mess that comes out of bees and streaks the fron of hives in the late
stages of dysentery, but what is the 'normal' state from healthy bees?

We used to have a screened flight cage for our observation hives at the
fair.  Not a lot of fecal spots--perhaps because they weren't stimulated
enough to void due to lack of flight distance???

It appears to me that colored feces would be entirely dependent upon the
pollen grains, which are only consumed to any extent by nurse bees.

Would sure be an interesting experiment to have a huge white floor outdoors,
and to put a pollen-eating colony in the middle, and then observe the
pattern for defecation.  Could also be done with sheets if the flight path
were restricted to a narrow strip.

Randy Oliver