From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:49:46 -0500
> Not that you can do it, but whether it is feasible here.

  Allen, of course we don't have as severe a winter as you in Alberta.
Still, it's nothing to sneeze at. I figure if it can work here in
Vermont, and Maine and New Hampshire, and Michigan and Virginia and
Oklahoma and Nebraska, then I guess it would work about anywhere. Yes,
in the small hive beetle areas some different manipulations may be
required. It's not really about everyone getting the same results time
after time. It's about using what resources you have in your
non-productive colonies to the best end, and tailoring your
manipulations to your own area and beekeeping. You certainly have a good
honey flow in Alberta, could identify those non-producers halfway
through the main flow, and turn them into nucleus colonies with suitable
queens.

Do you winter doubles in Alberta? What do you think a 4 over 4 double
nuc box is? A double. Just because there are two separate colonies
doesn't mean the bees make two separate clusters. They actually make one
cluster with the divider between them...two semicircles if you will. If
you can winter doubles you can winter these.