Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 2009 07:15:05 -0400
> In commercial beekeeping, there is a lot of monkey see, monkey do.

Not just in commercial beekeeping. A local hobby beekeeper who got a
Master Beekeeper certification at EAS is lecturing, at $30 a person,
on "non-chemical beekeeping". They have been keeping bees for about 5
years. Another, who lost all their colonies last year is also
lecturing on how to manage bees and they have kept bees for two years.

The internet is another untrustworthy source. A "natural" beekeeper
posts of their success, but those who have actually visited their
apiary see something entirely different.

The one constant I have seen over the years is the sometimes
irrational and blind acceptance of all things organic. I do not want
to use "chemicals" on my colonies either (and I practice organic
farming), but the year I did not treat, I lost colonies. I will be
treating for the foreseeable future, as long as those around me do not
treat. But, my guess is they will not be keeping bees much longer.
That seems to be the followup to the one constant.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine