From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 06:53:44 +0000
> Plastic is impervious to acid, is it not?
> it seems to me that soaking in a strong solution of hydrochloric acid would
> go a long way toward sterilizing the plastic foundation.  Also, steaming over
> boiling water for a few hours might also sterilize the foundation.

> Would either of these methods (soaking in a strong solution of hydrochloric acid
> or steaming over boiling water for a few hours) adversely affect to properties of the
> plastic in the foundation?

I don't know the answer to how HCL would effect plastic foundation, nor do I
know how HCL will effect ABF spores - I have never seen HCL mentioned as an
effective treatment.  Steaming the plastic foundation will ruin the plastic
foundation, which will warp in a solar melter.  Furthermore, short of
autoclaving, steaming is not an effective method to kill AFB spores.

Aaron Morris - thinking know thy enemy!