Date:
Thu, 13 May 2010 08:45:42 -0400
> Let me play devils advocate:
>
> Has science proved a new disorder exists? Canada says no disorder called
> CCD
> exists in their country.
> Spain says all CCD is is nosema ceranae.
>
> Show me the proof Bill a *new* disorder exists. Show me the *science*.
>

> The U.S. taxpayer has spent millions (at 18 universities) researching a new
> disorder when as the author of the article so correctly expresses  proof
> *does
> not exist* that a new disorder named CCD in fact exists or at least I have
> not seen the proof..

CCD = hypothesis

I have no idea what you are asking me to prove, since the above is
contradictory and has nothing to do with my post.

In my post I said the article was reasoned, especially in view of its main
point that some in the environmental movement latch on to a crisis and
tailor it to their agenda. That has been readily apparent here on the list.
As the article noted, you can lose your credibility if you cry wolf too
often and subsequent facts show that the initial assumptions were totally
off-base.

The article's comments section shows that it does not matter to the true
believers since both science and the facts are just things that get in the
way of ideology.

That attitude is why I coined the phrase "anecdotal evidence trumps science
every time".

Anecdotal evidence is instantaneous. It is "true" the moment it comes out of
the mouth of the true believer. Science takes longer, and, unfortunately,
because it does, the anecdotal evidence gains many more converts. None of us
likes to be proven wrong, especially if it interferes with what we want to
believe. So science is discarded.

A classic case of this was FGMO, here on this list. The true believers took
their marbles and created Beesource to further the truth and efficacy of
FGMO to combat Varroa as they were challenged and proven wrong often on this
list. That did not matter. They were right and science was wrong. Go to
Beesource now and you will find now it is even discredited there. It took a
long time and many failed beekeepers.

Science evolves. It is not static. But it does give the best current picture
on what we think is going on. There is no settled science but there is
settled anecdotal evidence. Just like concrete, some minds can also set
permanently.

As I have said before on this list, an axiom I live by is a Quaker saying,
"Remember, you may be wrong." Which is probably why my brain is still mush.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine