From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 10:57:36 -0600
>  What size mesh do you use for your final filtering?  I know I read in
> one of my books that either 40 or 80 mesh was used.  I am looking into
> getting some stainless steel mesh to strain my honey.

80 mesh is required for #1 grading, but it is very hard to get honey
through without heating above 120 degrees F.  We have an OAC strainer (From
Jones in Quebec), but never use it.

We simply hold the honey in tanks for a week at about 85-90 degrees or so
and find then that it is clean enough that we can sell it without receiving
complaints.  Of course you have to avoid drawing the honey off the *very*
bottom -- or having the scum that forms on top get into pails.

Over the years (25) we tried everything from flash heating and fine
filtering to creaming it to sending it out for packaging, but have come
down to this 'non-violent' method.

We are now even careful that the honey does not contact any surface over 95
degrees F.  This excludes hot knife uncapping -- we use a chain uncapper.

Why do we do it this way?  Because our customers can tell the difference.
Many want totally raw natural honey, and we have found that *any* heat over
100 degrees F is detectable by some of them!  This is particularly true for
those who use it in European style cures.

Allen