Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 13:32:00 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
While I can't read the bees' minds [yet!].... :-)

>>In any case, we gave them three deeps of drawn comb, which they covered handily.  We left them alone due to rainy weather.  Today I looked into the hive (about two weeks later).  They had filled the combs with brood and nectar... they also had quite a few well-developed queen cells on the bottoms of the frames...

...I have come to think they do math all the time.  I believe they constantly recalculate a formula: (% of broodnest flooded with nectar + remaining unoccupied hive space + amount of brood & stores + amount of brood that will emerge in next ~21 days + time of year + field conditions + weather conditions + age of queen + genetic predisposition + ...) < or > or = X, where X is some minimal threshold value that tells the bees if they can afford to swarm.

If the calculated result is less than X, they don't prep for a swarm.  One or two terms in the calculation could throw the result way above the minimim X and swarm prep begins.  Often to the surprise of the beekeeper.

I have a feeling Randy's combined swarm found the field conditions very good and the 3-deep space too small with lots of brood and stores quickly filling up the available space.  The resulting X told them to begin swarm prep.

If the 3rd deep had only foundation, it might have delayed the swarm prep [but who has all the equipment one MIGHT need in the field with them!] although I've in awe observed how quickly a relatively small bunch of bees can draw out foundation.

NY is behind CA in development at this time of the year.  My hives are in 3 deeps (the broodnests stradle all 3 deeps) and have 3 mediums on at this time.  Lots of bees and average weather (night time lows often dip into the 40's).  Bottom screens have been unblocked for about 2 wks, entrances have been wide open, and the telescoping covers are up and skewed for more ventilation.  Just about all the queens are from last July & August.

Hefting the hives daily shows hive weight increasing nicely day by day.

And I still see swarm prep.  If the inspections this weekend reveal queen cells again, I'll replace the inner covers with full screens under the lifted telescoping covers.  And may move one deep with brood but no queen to on top of the mediums for a week or two to stretch the broodnest...  

Waldemar

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned 
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2