From:
Kirsten Traynor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 23:33:31 +0100
Hello,

Here is a chance to show off the size and scale of your commercial
beekeeping operations overseas! I am looking for photos of commercial
beekeeping operations in the United States. The reason for my request is
that I am currently based at the largest beekeeping institute in Germany
on a one year scholarship from the Humboldt Foundation investigating the
differences between the German and American beekeeping industries. I
will be speaking at the largest commercial beekeepers conference in
Germany in early January and I would like to show the audience the scale
of commercial beekeepers in the United States. Unfortunately I am
lacking photos. I know many of you are hard working beekeepers and very
proud of your businesses. If you have photos of your operations, please
share them with me, so I can inform the German beekeepers about their
American counterparts. (Rest assured that I always give appropriate
photo credit)

Many German beekeepers I have spoken with are very interested in the
American beekeeping industry and would welcome informational exchanges.
I am happy to arrange for conversations between German and American
beekeepers, translating if necessary. They are very eager to learn from
the U.S. and are very envious of U.S. pollination fees. I think this
could be an excellent opportunity for beekeepers to learn from one
another, since we are all facing similar problems. Some problems like
varroa German beekeepers may have more experience with as they have been
fighting the pest longer, while other problems like small hive beetle
are better understood by Americans, who have more first hand knowledge.
I welcome all photos and contacts. My goal is to work as liaison between
Germany and the United States beekeeping industry and welcome any
questions or suggestions you might have.

Sincerely
Kirsten Traynor

Humboldt Scholar

Institute for Bee Research Celle