From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:34:47 -0500
Elyse, who is a wannabee beekeeper, asks about buying an extractor.

My advice...don't do it.  First, they are not 'measured' by gallon, but by
the number of frames they hold.  Then there are the questions about
motorized vs. manual, stainless vs. galvanized, etc.

I suggest you first become a beekeeper.  Join a club, if possible.  Do they
have an extractor you can borrow?  Call the county extension service and get
the name of a good beekeeper near you.  Try to get one who has more than 50
hives. She will know what she is doing, but if you hook up with a guy with
10 hives he may be all testosterone and no knowledge.  Such a beekeeper
(more than 50 hives) will often let you use their extractor, or lend you one
that is kept as a spare.

Best idea of all, produce only comb honey for a couple of year.  That will
teach you beekeeping, and avoid another expenditure.  Who knows, for a
reason you can't imagine you may find you don't like beekeeping, and then
you will have one less piece of equipment to sell.

Best of luck, and if you are in the upstate NY area let me know, off line.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com