From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:44:02 +0300
> Saskatchewan beekeepers were using a chunk of 3/4" plywood cut to the size
> of a super with no overhang on any side.   It worked,  but I was not
> satisfied.
>
> In my experience, any lid that does not overhang and have a drip edge will
> wick water into the hives through the cracks around the edge when it
> rains.

Soluton for this problem is to keep a PE sheet under the lid. 0.05 mm is
good.  Sheet is cut 1 -2 '' larger than the box so it hangs little  outside
the box and directs  rainwater away from the box and does that job as well
as telescoping top.

I have such sheets in all my hives. Also in the ones with the telescoping
lids.  Lid is much easier to open as it is no more glued by propolis. Sheet
is easy to tear open. Sometimes no need to open the sheet as visual check
can be done through the plastic. Downside is that you need to have a stone
on top to keep the lid in place in wind.

Interesting dicussion about top entrances. Here in Finland we have a severe
winter, much longer and colder than any place with bees in the US and that
goes for the most part oc Canada too. Bees confined inside from 4,5 to
maximum of 7 months in year. Last winter my bees did not go out between.
15.10 - 15.4 Here practicly no one has top entrances in winter. But inner
cover is normally in wooden hives food fiber sheet that allows some air and
moisture through.  Many use plastic hives with plastic lids. No air movement
goint up, but then they have screen bottoms. All winter boxes are insulated.
Wooden hives are with double walls and 1'' insulation between walls. Nice
for winter but not so nice to carry when full of honey.

Ari Seppälä
Finland