From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2013 09:44:21 -0500
> i would venture to say that there is not one beekeeper who looks forward to the day when 'sustainable' alternatives are available, affordable, and increase the 'yield' as well.

You have a lot to learn, my friend. There is a huge industry built up to supply beekeepers that need to restock their hives. They don't care if your bees crap out year after year! This started over 100 years ago, when winter losses in the north were typically 50% or more. In Canada, for example, it was common not even to attempt to winter bees over, but rather simply restock in spring.

While we are on the subject, though, "sustainable" means different things to different people. I could "sustain" my beekeeping operation by restocking with bees from the south, or by collecting swarms and ferals. Whereas, if you mean by sustainable, not bringing in bees, that is a different goal entirely. By the way, those that collect swarms and ferals should ask themselves "where did those bees come from." In most locales, they are escaped from commercial beekeeping outfits.

If you mean by sustainable, the national beekeeping industry, we are still doing this. This country has over two million colonies, and while this may be less than in 1988, it appears to have stabilized at this number. As with anything of this nature, there is a range of colony numbers that can be supported in a given region. This number is driven by supply and demand. As long as there is a strong demand for pollination, the bees will be made available *at a price.* If there is a demand for "organic honey" it will be met *at a price.*

Scarcity drives prices up, but high prices increases the number of producers, which can bring prices back down. I never want to see honey become a luxury item, like truffles, or caviar. But it shouldn't be lumped in with molasses and rice syrup, either.

Pete