From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 12:34:52 +0100
Randy > BTW, an interesting observation by some beekeepers up here in
Saskatchewan. They got some Chilean packages, and chalkbrood ate them alive.
 Similar to what happens with some Aussie packages. Is chalkbrood a big
issue for Chilean beeks?

> Appears to me that bees in each area evolved resistance to the local
chalkbrood, but not to the foreign one.

Thanks Randy for the news about chilean stock at Canada.

Actually I will love to know more about their performance on different areas
of Canada. The former cause there is more than one producer exporting to
Canada and will be helpfull to follow them. More infor here
http://apiaraucania.blogspot.com/2009/10/reinas-for-export.html. Only one
exporter send packages past year, but the origin of those bees were from
more than one producer. Many of the shaked hives died during the winter.
Past  season was a dry one and bees probably starved before shaking.

Chalkbrood is not that common in Chile. In wet and cold years like this one
you can see a bigger incidence, probably there is a link between nosema and
chalkbrood. Also we see a bigger incidence of EFB like symptoms. Probably
the link is bad nutrition.

Ps: I do  not use a translator, everything comes from my head, but I do not
proof read the messages. After all the correction you and others had made
(and that I appreciate)  I realize that the problem is with the sounds of
the words, like "write and right" sound very similar to my spanish ear. Gone
to the mountain.

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.