text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
On Dec 30, 2017, at 8:07 PM, randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> 
> I've heard that there are areas called "cities" in which millions of human
> beings live under similar conditions.

And as a resident of the largest one in the US, I can vouch that they have a lot to offer that the empty farmland in the rest of the flyover country doesn’t, :-)

I’ll always remember an article in the NYT just after I’ve moved to the city in 2000. The author was responding to the long-standing criticisms of NYC being ‘unfriendly’, ‘busy’, ‘crowded’, etc. After listing all the good things that NYC has to offer, to both residents and visitors, the author moved onto the art, that quintessential cerebral human activity. She wrote that other cities put in their promotion materials that visitors can find in their museums a Picasso or a Matisse, or some other precious work of art. NYC doesn’t put any such information in its marketing materials. You know why? There are 34 known paintings by the renowned 17th century Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer and we’ve got 8 of them in the 5 boroughs. So there.

Back to the topic at hand: as a small hobbyist, I always appreciate and read with interest the views of the large-scale beekeepers like Charlie and Randy and others. Scale is something I don’t have to deal with, but I can easily imagine that my management techniques would have been *totally* different if I had 6,000 hives rather than 6. It was enough for me having had to feed 60 lbs of syrup this fall to each of my hives after the miserable spring and summer we’ve had in southern NY. Do I want to feed? No. Do I want my colonies to overwinter? Duh…

And on that note, Happy New Year to everyone on Bee-L, especially our esteemed moderator for keeping us all in check! :-)

Przemek
The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2