Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 1997 21:43:37 +0100

> > If any Beekeeper in Scotland brings in Hives from Infected
> > Areas KICK UP A FUSS ensure that the person in prosecuted
> > even if minimal fine is given.
>
> There was a lengthy article in the Scottish Beekeeper this month about
> this very business of prosecutions.  There have been a few incidents of
> infected colonies coming into Scotland but as yet there have been no
> prosecutions.  This matter was brought to the attention of Lord Sewel
> (High up guy in MAFF!) who replied,  Quote "It is always regrettable
> when someone slips through the net either through ignorance or because
> they disregard the law. Prosecutions will certainly be pursued where the
> circumstances and evidence are considered to justify such action.
> However, where possible, we prefer to achieve our objectives without
> necessarily resorting  to prosecution ---------!

It seems to me that the government is not going to be much help here
(Now there's a strange thing!!!)  and it is going to be up to the
beekeepers themselves to come up with some strategy to deal with this.
Perhaps we shall have to re-think our practice of moving bees to
and from various crops!

--
Harry
Scotland