From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:23:18 +0800
Juanse, thanks for sharing this interesting info with us. I found it
particularly interesting, since although Fumidil proved very effective
against your Nosema ceranae infection, and when used as part of your
overwintering management strategy reduced winter losses substantially (group
C), we here in Western Australia would not be able to do the same.
Antibiotic use on bees and hives, including Fumidil, is illegal here, and
that is unlikely to change ever, my guess. So we have no means of treating
Nosema infections. However the chlorine/acetic acid feeding is quite legal,
a) if can be shown to be effective and b) if it proved necessary.
Fortunately Nosema ceranae has not arrived here (yet), so it probably isn't
necessary, and as you have shown, it still isn't proven to be completely
effective. I am curious as to whether or not it may have some value in
treating Nosema apis which we certainly do have. Your results indicate some
combination of supplemental nutrition and chlorine/acetic acid may have
value here, when comparing results from groups A and B, although differences
in varroa treatments do complicate the interpretation and may have
influenced the outcome. Are you aware of any other chlorine feeding trials?
Is anyone else on the list using chlorine or acetic acid internally in bees
for nosema treatment. Acetic acid fumigation for controlling Nosema apis
spores in stored combs is proven very effective, although how widely used I
am not aware. Its certainly not common practice here in Western Australia.

Peter Detchon