From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 17:18:00 -0500
> We often see a dozen a day.

We see black widows in Missouri but they are not aggressive like the brown
recluse. In my opinion the brown recluse is a bigger problem.
The brown recluse feeds rarely and will bite anytime the spider thinks food
is around. I have killed brown recluse the size of a half dollar. Fast and
aggressive.
I have been bit by Brown recluse as has most of the commercial beeks in the
area.
We started putting on supers a couple weeks ago which made room in fumigated
storage. I move all old equipment from the building either out in direct
sunlight (which cause the recluse to vacate the premises) or place on the
container to kill all stages. With the whole operation on pallets it only
takes a short time to set everything out and clean the area. really helps
with recluse.
I also never kill a wolf spider as they hunt and kill/eat brown recluse.
In winter when equipment is moved into a heated area the recluse wakes up
but is slow and clumsy and easy to kill. Not so this time of year!
The violin marking is no longer considered the ID mark. Many recluse do not
carry there violin but are recluse . (source pest control outfit).
bob