From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2007 21:39:42 -0400
On 13-Oct-07, at 6:45 AM, Bill Truesdell wrote:

> The discussion is about bee breeding and the intent of that
> breeding includes the survival of the bee as well as reproduction
> and a stable population as a consequence. A very harmonious
> relationship with no differing interests..

Hi Bill and all

I believe that Chris Slade, Dave Cushman and others on their side of
the pond are trying to return to the pure black bee(AMM) without any
influence from any other race. We on this side are continuing to mix
in genetics from other races(Russians) to improve the genetics we
have previously imported.  While visiting family in Ireland this
summer I dropped in on a beekeeper  in the outskirts of Dublin.  Over
a cup of tea we discussed beekeeping in Canada and Ireland.  He was
obviously proud of the work he and others were doing to return to the
"Irish bee".  I believe that the Irish bee, the black bee and AMM are
one and the same(please correct me if I am wrong).  This Irish
beekeeper was very aware of the level of yellow(Italian bee) in his
hives by being able to use morphology.  I had to look up the meaning
of the word in the dictionary and have a vague idea of the process,
but the term is not well known by beekeepers that I know here.
Discussing bee breeding involves knowing what the other guy is doing.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W