Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:15:13 GMT
Bob wrote:

>>How often do you pull & clean your frames?

I'm a hobby beekeeper and inspect my hives once a week.  Once every 2 weeks or less often if the hives are heavily supered.  I use plastic frames only.  They touch each other very tightly (there is more natural variation with wood frames).  Whatever little propolis is between the frame surfaces that touch - but there always is some - I work with my fingers into the hollows of the plastic frames.  I hate when bees get entombed and die in those hollows.  The hollows in the plastic frames is about the only thing I don't like about plastic frames.  Over time I fill these up completely with propolis.

>>Bees stick together frames tough when they touch! Not when a gap exists. Propolis is excellent glue but not to bridge a gap.

This is very true.  However, the larger the gap, the more propolis gets worked into it.  Invariably there are times when a frame is not pushed against the other ones and the bees quickly fill this gap with propolis.  When this happens I have to slice through this 'joint' with a hive tool.  Not a big problem if the weather is warm.  It's another story in the late fall.

>>Even with the two end nails top bars will pull away when locked down in a 10 frame situation (sometimes in a 9 frame)

I can see where the non-destruction is a factor with wood frames.  I don't see plastic frames coming apart.

>>The second (many will shudder at the practice) is so we can pull a frame right out of the center of the cluster...

I do this sometimes as well (although try to avoid this practice for the fear of rolling a queen to death).  When 10 plastic frames in a Langstroth hive are pushed to one side, the space remaing is about 1/2".  Perhaps 5/8".  I split this space between the two sides by centering the gang of frames in the box.  For me, this is sufficient.  Before taking a frame out, with my hive tool, I push all the frames to one side to create a little room at the other side.  Then, I can take a frame out without any problem.  Takes seconds.  The first frame I pull is usually the 2nd or 3rd from the end.  That's usually where where the nest boundary is.  Of course, I take care to remove the first frame gently just in case the queen is on it.

>>The truth is many commercial beekeepers (including myself ) run most hives with 8 frames and a division feeder.

Commercial beekeepers probably need to shave every second off of their process time.  In my hobby/side line operation, time is less pressing.

Regards,

Waldemar