From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 20:10:37 -0400
CSlade wrote:
>He's using the liquid nitrogen test. This isn't available to most beekeepers.

I have had a fair amount of experience with this test and I can tell you that I would not base evaluation
on it alone (nor pins, etc.). Under the circumstances of a good honey flow, ALL the hives will rapidly
clean out dead brood.

I would suggest actual health of colonies over time as the basis for selection, rather than some sort of
litmus test. In a nutshell, using survivor stock. Regarding the performance of survivors, bear in mind
that if survival is the key trait you are looking for, then per colony honey production may take lower
priority.

You will make more honey in the long run with bees that survive. Even if you needed 2 or 3 times as
many colonies to make the same amount of honey, it could be balanced by the savings from far lower
chemical inputs, cost of requeening, restocking, etc.

pb