From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:32:52 -0500
At 09:39 AM 1/22/02 -0800, you wrote:
>kill gophers and ground squirrels. "Chemicals" is not a particularly useful
>word in agriculture. Virtually everything around us is made up of chemicals.

Organic is a poor choice as well.  While some compounds aren't organic
(copper sulfate for example), many of the pesticides are organic compounds.
My roommate in college (a chemistry major) found a can of "chemical free"
beans in the supermarket.  (Vacuum in a can anybody?),  At least the
"fat free" bottle of water was technically correct.  The efforts to genetically
engineer crops that make their own toxins will likely muddy the water further.

Often times the real meaning and the public perception, FDA and the
government's definition of a word are often totally different things.

Are there any written rules to what you can call Organic Honey?  Obviously
other livestock rules don't apply well to bees.

-Tim