From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2018 19:40:00 -0500
After the early 1900's the disappearing disease does not seem to figure in beekeeping.  Plenty of items where bees come out in poor conditions but again put down to Nosema but no major cases of no bees.

An article in the September issue of Gleanings in Bee Culture 1919 discusses "disappearing disease" in some detail and concludes that no exact cause is known.

>"While only good guesses can be offered, the editor is coming more and more to the conclusion that whatever we have in America may be due to several causes; namely poisons, ingestions, or auto intoxication and old age.

At the time in the northeast, there was a large gypsy moth infestation being controlled with some toxic spray known to kill bees by the thousands. So the authorities figured it was prudent to mix the toxin with a bee repellant. So they mixed in sulfur and creosote and claim they got excellent results - ah, the good old days.

Bill Hesbach
Northeast USA