From:
Kathryn Kerby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2014 23:23:36 -0700
Good evening Christine.  I finally have something to contribute but it might
not be related.  Several conifer species, I believe Douglas fir is one of
them, will put out cones under two conditions - when the tree is very
healthy and can "afford" such investments, but also when the tree is under
extreme stress at which point it's a last-ditch effort to pass on those
genes prior to death.  Think "selfish gene theory" for how and why that
mechanism would endure, from an evolutionary perspective.  I don't know if
that answers why the Dutch clover nectar would sometimes be appealing to
bees and other times not.  But not all reproductive events occur when the
plant is healthy.  Sometimes, just the opposite.  Under those circumstances,
I can see how the plant would put out just enough to spread genes around,
but not sacrifice any sugar it didn't have to, on the long shot that
survival might yet be possible.  I don't know if flowering plants have any
mechanism like I just described for conifers, but it seemed at least
plausible.
Kathryn Kerby
Frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA