From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:56:27 -0400
On 23 Aug 99, at 14:55, Aaron Morris wrote:

> > 6. Have been told to put apistan (2 strips/hive body) in when I close
> > the hives along with menthol (1 pkg/body) and not to treat in spring.
> > Does this sound ok?
> Apistan, yes.  Follow the directions, use only after honey supers are off
> and take them out after 45 days, even if that means opening your hives in
> the snow.

I normally agree with Aaron, but not this time. Opening hives in the
snow is a dangerous practice, a split cluster has a major problem
getting back together and re-organising.  The usual thinking
regarding the removal of 'Happy Stan' after 45 days is to prevent
resistant mites, but I don't believe they will form over one winter.
        I had to leave our strips in last year and we've had no problems. As
an aside when Varroa first hit Ontario it was advised to leave the
strips in for the first winter!

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre,
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>