Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:00:06 -0600
>...the last I checked was .52 a pound for the sugar content but a cost is
>added for mixing, storing and pumping into totes or tankers which brings
>the cost per gallon to over three dollars a gallon.

My latest quote for dry sugar in Canada or Western US today in truckloads is
about $22.40 and $22.25 for a 20 kg bag.  That is about 50 cents a pound.
Apparently the price is rising again.

I'd have to figure out how many pounds in a gallon of 67%, but guess at
around 6-1/2 lbs in a US gallon if the gallon of syrup weighs 10 pounds.
That does come to over $3!  I remember when it was around $1.

(Imperial gallons are larger).

We used to get deals on the sucrose syrup in fall sometimes since they
shipped right from the production line and saved having to dry and
crystallize and bag the sugar.  No longer, it seems.

What are HFCS prices?