From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 21:07:55 -0700
William Sharp <[log in to unmask]> wrote:I want to move some bees (7 hives) about 60 miles from where i caught the swarms to my wife's family farm.  I want to move them without screening the entrances, but i want a bee net that i can put on them if i break down.

Unless you are really worried about a breakdown on the trip I would just load them up after dark, with the motor running on the truck, haul them to your new site with the stands already set up for recieving the hives, and offload.  You will have crawling bees but not to a really great extent unless you really jostle them.  Get someone to help lift and shift, i.e. move the hives onto and off of the truck, and move them.  Be sure to wear good bee protection clothing.  That's about the only time that I wear gloves and strap the ankles of my pants.  Moved a hive last night and some fell off onto my right shoe.  Take it from me, bees crawl up.  You should not have to have the expense of buying a bee net to move just 60 miles or so.  Even a four hour move at night would not need netting.  Just keep the motor running if you stop.  The vibration pretty well keeps the bees from running too much and they don't fly at night unless there is a bright light to fly to.

Mike in LA  (Lower Alabama)