From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:02:48 -0400
Elizabeth asks about placing packages when the temperatures are just above
freezing and there is cold rain.

I have the privilege of participating in seminar leadership on beekeeping
and one thing I constantly emphasize is that COLD DOES NOT HURT BEES.
Doubters can put a few bees in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours and then let
them warm to room temperature.  They recover from comatose to fully
functional without any difficulty.

That said, excessive moisture kills bees!

If you are having normal Vancouver cold drizzle, I think the bees will be
far better off being put in a hive, and fed, than being left in the package.
On the other hand, if it is truly raining so that the bees might get wet
before getting them into the hive, I advising keeping them in the package
until the rain stops.  If the latter, keep them in a cool, dark place with
plenty of ventilation.  A shed or barn works great, as long as they are kept
well away from any exhaust fumes.  Basements can be too warm.

Every year many packages are installed in the middle of snowfields, often
while it is actively snowing.  Don't worry about the cold.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com