From:
"Richard A. Haver" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 15:05:53 EDT
--- You wrote:
>       One final note: The reason you may see more bumbles than honey bees
in
a particular flower species is (at least I think I heard this somewhere) that
some flowers are inaccessible to honey bees, while bumble bees can forage in
these same plants with no problem.  I think I heard that red clover was more
accessible to honey bees than say white clovers.  This may be totally wrong,
don't even ask where I heard it as I can't recall.  But I was just wondering
if
folks had heard similar stories and if anyone know of a clover (or similar
green manure crop) that was attractive and that honey bees could use (if the
ladies choose to of course).
--- end of quoted material ---
Jeff,

i sympathize with the desire to have some agreeable to the bees. you feel
like you gotta
do something to the piece; why not seed it for the bees?

red clover is a no-no for honeybees; sweet white or yellow or alsike is
better. honeybees'
tongues are not long enough to reach the nectar in red. i selected alsike
knowing (more or
less) that honeybees would work it. i do believe it more freely reseeds
itself than the other clovers.
someone correct if i'm outta line here but don't be confused by dutch
clover--the short stuff that
seems to be in everyone's lawn. there's also ladino clover and i can't
remember what its story
is vis-a-vis honeybees.

by the way, the clover and trefoil i planted are about 18" high at the height
of the season.
not suited for lawns unlees you relentlessly mow which, of course, kills the
bloom.

Rick