From:
"Bruce E. King" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 13:31:13 -0700
At 10:18 PM 2/15/98 EST, you wrote:
>Bruce King:
>Caught up in Olympic scoring, regarding your post to Dr. Pedro R., I would
>score it a perfect 6.0.
>If Jerry B. has trained you, I compliment him for instilling  responsibility
>into you.
>I am old, retired, and physically disabled, but my mind still functions as a
>scientist remembering that long, long check list at Alomagordo, July 16,1945.
>Keep your head high and your nose down; I will mention you to Shim and
Nick as
>I hope to see them on Saturday.
>Jerry will know who this is.              George

Thanks for the support.  I've got to say that Pedro sure is an interesting
character.  Talk about defining the phrase 'don't look a gift horse in the
mouth'.

I've been on the list for a couple of months and been working for Jerry for
2.5 years now.  Jerry has been an excellent mentor for me.  I've learned
alot from him about bees, research and good science.  I'm really enjoy
working with him.

Good post on the Apistan stability.  The experiments I was doing for
Smithkline in the protein study were stability studies.  I was going to say
that that data has to be out there or else they couldn't figure out
dosages.  Long term storage of this stuff is a nightmare for the
manufacturers because it's so difficult to predict the storage conditions
that the average beekeeper will use.  We used a high humidity/high temp
chamber for all stability studies, I always hated to have to get the next
batch of samples, but doing several different studies at once kept me busy.

I'm also a big fan of the history of science, especially the building of
the atomic bomb.  Were you actually there?  Wow!!  That's cool.  I spent
two summers out at the Hanford site and did as much reading about its
history as I could on the side.  It's incredible what was accomplished in
such a short time, both in the science and the environmental devastation.
The scale of the Hanford site is awesome.  Looking at the history there,
its obvious to me that when we are ignorant of the hazards of certain
substances, we make some dangerous and expensive mistakes.  I believe that
its our responsibility that those same mistake aren't made in the future,
even if its at the expense of progress.  I probably wouldn't have felt the
same way if I were around back then, but hindsight is always better than
foresight.

I'm rambling now.
Thanks for the support.

Keep in touch.

Bruce King                                              [log in to unmask]
Department of Chemistry                    phone: (406) 542-2993
University of Montana                           fax:   (406) 243-4227
Missoula, MT 59812