Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:26:18 GMT+0200
Hi All

It has been interesting following the thread on the cluster of bees
on the outside of a hive body and how to move it with that.

Well, here if we move any hives we expect to pick up 100+ stings per
person per 20 hives - with smoke!! (Ie they are calm)

The cluster of bees at the entrance of a hive at night is a great
sign if the queen in the hive is young. If she is old, it means you
will lose the swarm soon, as those are surpluss bees not needed for
keeping the hive warm.

I try to maintain all my production hives with a thick beard at night
- I call it a beard. Ideally the beard should cover the hive entrance
and be about halfway up the side of the brood box (deep). Anything
that tries to tamper with such a hive will be hurt and vandalism by
night is minimalised. Even an experienced beekeeper (me) trying to
work such a hive will be nailed by crawlers - the worst type of
stining formation.

If such production hives are to be moved it is adviseable to put an
empty super under the lid. This gives the bees thinking space and
calms them down considerable.

When one gets to the new site, the supers are filled with combs.

Hope this helps

Keep well
Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
6139
South Africa

Time = Honey

The Universe is not here right now, if you would like
to leave a message, leave your name and number after
the long silence and it will get back to you as soon
as possible.