Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2012 10:51:49 -0400
Knapp Weed is classed as a noxious weed in MT, it is very invasive.   It is
a good bee flower.  The honey is light colored, tends to rapidly
crystalize, and the honey has a bit of a sharp taste.

NO one in MT would suggest planting it for bees (see below).  It takes
over hillsides, valleys, wilderness areas.  We work hard to get rid of it,
since cattle won't eat it, and it crowds out the native vegetation.

Although we don't mind making honey from it, no beekeeper would ever want
anyone to think that beekeepers are deliberately planting a weed that
destroys  pastures and turns hillsides purple.

Best and about the only way to get rid of it, is to herd sheep on its when
it first appears above the ground.  The sheep have to be kept on it until
they eat it to the nub.  After a few years, the sheep can clear it.   We've
an outfit in Missoula that hires a full-time herder to move sheep over the
mountain sides surrounding the valley.

> If  you don't have Knapp weed, and allready have some golden rod, I would
go with  the Knapp weed, It blooms in july and aug. up here, blooms for a
long time,  and really gets the girls going for the golden rod flow. and yes
it is  invasive, so the seed is probably not sold, but I'm sure it is
available from someone.

Jerry