From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2011 21:19:45 -0500
Donald asks:
> What do you do?

I fill about half full & light either with my shop torch (if in a hurry) or
a propane torch (comes with around 5 feet of hose) available from hardware
stores ( $40 -$50) attached to a 12 pound propane tank ( also what we use to
sterilize wooden ware with). Then slowly fill pumping bellows.

At times I think lighting the acetylene torch is a bit extravagant but I can
fill and light in a couple minutes. Slower with propane.

I use the large size smoker with a shield and once filled the smoker seldom
needs filled again and many times is still lit the next day. The smoker box
( on rear of truck) acts like placing a stopper or plug in the smoker and
conserves fuel.

Always use a screen to prevent hot coals from spilling out into a hive (
never had a fire but sure possible) and we always use a smoker box (we made
ourselves but sold by beekeeping supply houses).

Smoker box made of 1/8 inch steel . The door is attached by a long hinge I
brazed to the box.
There is a latch with a pin attached with a chain brazed to the box so never
is lost.
The box sits about 8 inches below the flatbed with 4 pieces of 3/4 pipe and
is at the very end of the flatbed.

The portable boxes are galvanized boxes with  lid I found in the Brass
Armadillo Antique mall for a few dollars. They had upholstery inside which I
tore out. I think they were toy boxes.
probably really rare but I used for smoker boxes instead of standing in line
at "The antiques road show".

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Missouri