From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:10:13 -0700
Bob Harrison wrote:

> Again with looking at the above figures maybe you can
> see why we worry about the systemic effect of
> imidacloprid on [corn] seeds being applied year after year

Bob, what figures do you have that indicate it is a
common practice for upper Midwestern farmers to
plant corn in the same field for more than two
consecutive years in a row?

The evidence I have seen from Iowa State University
indicates corn acreage in 2008 is down and soybean acreage
is up due to rotation to beans
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/CropNews/2008/0409AbendElmorePedersen.htm

> Farmers realize that certain fields grow beans better than
> corn and other fields produce higher yields of corn.

The most recent Iowa State Report also says:
"Corn following corn is in rough shape in areas across Iowa".
"Over the last eight years, Iowa corn yields following corn
have ranged from almost the same to 27 percent less than
yield of corn following soybeans. The eight-year average
is 14 percent less."
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/CropNews/2008/0703Elmore.htm

I have not seen any evidence to suggest farmers
commonly plant corn for more than two consecutive years,
hence I do not understand your concern "about the systemic
effect of imidacloprid on [corn] seeds being applied year
after year" .

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.