From:
Barry Donovan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 09:34:06 +1200
Collapse of plastic jars for feeding can be avoided by using containers that are barrel-shaped. As a hobbyist I find 2-litre clear plastic biscuit barrels are pretty good. I drill a couple of dozen small holes through the plastic screw-top, then after removing the centre four frames from the honey super I invert the full container onto the queen excluder. The barrels don't leak, the feed is right above the cluster so is accessible in all weather and over 24 hours, the feed is secure from robbing by bees from other hives, by lifting one end of the roof I can easily see how much food has been taken, and refilling is quick. Maybe three- or four litre barrels would be better, but none seem to be available where I live.
Regards,
Barry Donovan.
New Zealand.

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 05/10/99 11:57PM >>>
Another point often missed is that plastic jars can collapse, thus letting
out syrup without making a vacum.
Richard