From:
TNT Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:55:54 -0700
Dairy tanks work well for syrup and honey.  Those under a 1000 gallons can
be had fairly cheaply here as there is no demand for them any more.  They
just don't have the capacity as farmers increase herd size.   We have a 600
imp. gal one that acts as a honey settling tank & is tied into the bulk
syrup system should we want to warm up a batch of feed for early spring or
late fall.

I don't know what is considered a fertilizer pump in your part of the world,
but the ones used here for moving liquid fertilizer are the what most
beekeepers use for syrup. May or maynot be the same.

Honey pumps really depend on so many things. How clean and warm the honey
is, distance lifted/pushed, & volume all play a part.   When I started I
used a little thirty-five dollar brass one.  The honey was well settled in
the sump: no wires or sticks & little wax.  It was warmed to 90F and we were
only pumping seven feet up to a bottling tank. It worked really well.  When
we changed buildings it wouldn't push to 9 ft.  Each situation is unique and
the beekeeping supply shops only want to carry a couple of  pumps at most.
The more expensive ones cover the widest range of applications, but
depending on what you're doing you may find a number of cheaper ones. I
wouldn't want to make any suggestions without knowing a lot more detail
about your situation.

Dave
Ardmore, AB