From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 1994 09:31:10 PST
>I cast my vote against splitting up the list.  My research brings me into
>contact with hundreds of beekeepers and many researhers in academia and
>state and federal laboratories.  Often, the cross-pollination of ideas
>and insights have lead to the break-throughs.  A case in point is the
>evidence for the affect of oils in the hive on the ability of tracheal
>mites to locate new hosts.
>
>I for one have learned as much or more from the beekeepers as from the
>"scientists".  Two lists already exist for the more technical discussions
>- Southwick's Social Insects and Entomol-L.  The latter has over 500
>members and it can get a bit clumsy.
>
>As for "heavy" traffic on BEE-L, there have only been two times when it
>really  got going - the little fracus before Christmas by the electronic
>vandals, and this discussion about making a new list.  Otherwise, BEE-L
>is quite, it could use a little more activity.  Splitting off yet another
>list may dilute it out of existence.
>
>Thanks for the forum.
>
>Jerry J. Bromenshenk
>(University of Montana)

   I agree with Jerry -- having worked for large scale commercial
beekeepers and associated with amateurs, as well, it is refreshing to look
in on the interchange.  Many of the long-term beekeepers I have known
possessed a wealth of valuable information.  The converse is true -- when I
pick up some valuable bit of information from the network, I can provide it
to local beekeepers.  With two separate lists, pressures of time
constraints might pressure me to skip some potentially important messages.

                                                Adrian

* Adrian Wenner        E-Mail   [log in to unmask]  *
* Department of Biology        Office Phone    (805) 893-2838 *
* University of California     Lab Phone       (805) 893-2838 *
* Santa Barbara, CA  93106     FAX             (805) 893-4724 *